08/10/2026
πππ ππππππππ
The Crossing, also known as the Rock Chalk CafΓ©, opened in 1923 and served the Lawrence and KU community for 85 years.
Over its history, the building was home to several businesses and names.
During World War II, the business catered to nearby military barracks. In the decades that followed, it became a popular student hangout known for its relaxed atmosphere, porch seating, and bar games.
The Crossing was also known for its Stop Day Eve parties. Because of its location, many students considered it the βpre-gameβ bar.
In 1965, the menu included:
β $1 pitchers
β 25Β’ draughts
β Free popcorn
The Crossing came under new ownership in 2006. In 2008, after 85 years, the bar closed and the building was demolished to make way for The Oread.
Construction on The Oread began in 2008, and the hotel opened in 2010.